Welcome to Year 1
Welcome to Year 1! We are a class of 22 hardworking and enthusiastic children with an eagerness to learn. Our class teacher is Miss Whitworth and we receive support from Mrs Harvey and Miss Kelly. Mrs Lewins teaches us every Wednesday.
Our curriculum is topic based which allows us to focus on a particular topic every half term. This allows us to spend more time deepening our understanding of the topic through all subjects within the National Curriculum. For each topic, we will focus on developing our skills of reading, writing and mathematics to help prepare us for the transition to Year 2.
The topics we will be covering throughout the year are:
- Pirates – Continents and Oceans
- Pupil project voice (topic decided by the children)
- Come and join the celebration – Festivals and key events from around the world
- Fairies and Frogs – Exploring stories through the arts
- Never eat shredded wheat – Food, maps, human/physical features
- How does your garden grow – Plants, living things and the environment
- Happy families – Changes to our way of life
- Here comes the sun – Light
Children are given a homework grid at the start of each half term with different tasks on for them to choose. The homework is based around the topic for that half term and will show which tasks should be completed. Depending on which task they choose to complete, they will be awarded with a particular amount of merits.
Completed homework is to be returned every Thursday and children will share with the class what they have done.
Alongside their topic based homework, children are to practise their spellings which will be given to them on a Wednesday to be learnt for the following Wednesday. Children are also expected to read their reading books regularly at home, we encourage this to be at least twice a week.
Long term plan
Archived Class Activities
Please view our Archived Class Activities by clicking the links below: