Governors work closely with headteachers, school staff and representatives from the local authority (LA).
Governor Committee Structure
|Mrs Pamela Monaghan - Chair||Co-opted||First/Pay Review,|
Head Teacher's Performance Management,
Personnel and Staffing
|12/12/2020 - 11/12/2024||Chair of Governors, English, Pupil Premium, |
|School Improvement Advisor for Local Authority||None|
|Ms Faye Richardson - Vice Chair||Co-opted||Achievement & Learning,|
Head Teacher's Appraisal
|29/06/2023 - 28/06/2027||Vice Chair of Governors, Maths, PE, EYFS and Pupil Premium|
|Mrs Shelley Gill||Co-opted||Achievement & Learning,|
Behaviour, Safety & Welfare
|05/09/2016 - 06/09/2024||Safeguarding|
Looked After Children
|Mrs Laura McClelland||Co-opted||Achievement & Learning,|
Behaviour, Safety & Welfare, Finance
|13/11/2023 - 12/11/2027||Creativity (Art and Design and Technology)||None||None|
|Mrs Marion Wilson||Local Authority||Behaviour, Safety & Welfare, Finance Committee, First/Pay Review||03/09/2022 - 02/09/2026||RE, RSE, PSHCE||None||None|
|Mrs Alison Jamieson||Co-opted||Achievement, Teaching and learning, Personnel and Staffing, Appeals||29/06/2021 - |
|SEN, Humanities (history and Geography)||Deputy Head Teacher at Durham Federation||None|
|Mrs Helen Grainger||Headteacher||tbc||01/09/2023 -|
|Mrs Laura Richardson||Parent||tbc||13/11/2023 - 12/11/2027||tbc||None|
|Miss Jemma Gallagher||Parent||tbc||20/11/2023 - 19/11/2023||tbc||None|
|Mrs Julia Brown||Staff||tbc||23/11/2023 - 22/11/2023||tbc||Admin Officer at Silver Tree||None|
How To Become A School Governor
If you require further information on the roles and responsibilities of School Governors or you are interested in becoming one, visit the Durham County Council website School Governor section.
Statutory Guidance for Governing Bodies
Silver Tree Primary School adhere to the statutory guidance from the Department for Education. This means that governing bodies must have regard to it when carrying out duties relating to the constitution of governing bodies in maintained schools. For further information please view or download the full document below.
Schools are required to display a record of Governor attendance at meetings for each school academic year.
✓ – Attended meeting
A/A – Apologies sent and accepted by meeting
N – Did not attend
n/a – Not a member of the committee
Record of Attendance 2023-2024
|Name||Standards and |
|Full Governing Body
You can also view previous years attendance on our website.
Committee Terms of Reference
The Finance Committee
Terms of Reference:
- In conjunction with the Headteacher to draft the first formal budget plan of the financial year, for approval by the full Governing Body.
- To establish and maintain an up to date 3 year financial plan.
- To monitor income and expenditure, including virement decisions, significant anomalies from the anticipated position and report termly to the Governing Body.
- To ensure the school operates within the financial regulations of the County Council and the requirements of the DfE School Financial Value Standard.
- To monitor expenditure of all voluntary funds kept on behalf of the Governing Body.
- To annually review charges and remissions policies and expenses policies.
- To make decisions in respect of service level agreements.
- To make decisions on expenditure following recommendations from other committees.
- To prepare financial statements for inclusion in any reports to parents.
- To ensure as far as is practical that any Health and Safety (H&S) issues are appropriately funded in accordance with priorities.
- To ensure that Pay Review Committee and Pay Appeal Committee decisions are appropriately funded.
Meetings: termly, or each half term, planned to coincide with Oracle.
Disqualifications: when there may be a conflict of interest; a fair hearing is required; or a pecuniary interest. Associate members may not vote.
Personnel & Staffing Committee
Terms of Reference:
- To carry out an annual review of the staffing structure in consultation with the Headteacher and the Finance Committee.
- To oversee the appointment procedure for all staff (except Leadership appointments or delegated).
- To establish and review a performance management policy for all staff.
- To keep under review work/life balance, working conditions and well-being, including the monitoring of absence.
- To make recommendations to the Finance Committee on Personnel-related expenditure.
Meetings: as required
First/Pay Review Committee
Terms of Reference:
- To make any decisions under the personnel procedures adopted by the Governing Body, e.g. disciplinary, grievance, capability, ill health etc. where the Headteacher is the subject of the action.
- To make any decisions relating to a member of staff (other than the Headteacher) under the Personnel procedures adopted by the Governing Body (unless delegated to the Headteacher).
- Reducing the staffing.
- To act in accordance with the Teachers’ Pay Policy adopted by the Governing Body.
- To report to the Finance Committee on Pay Review-related expenditure.
- To arrange to meet with the External Adviser (EA) or Education Development Partner (EDP) to discuss the Headteacher’s performance targets.
- To decide with support from the EA or EDP whether the targets have been met and to set new targets annually.
- To monitor throughout the year the performance of the Headteacher against the targets.
- To make recommendations to the appropriate committee in respect of awards for the successful meeting of set targets.
Meetings: as and when necessary.
Disqualifications: The Headteacher; the Chair of Governors (if he/she has prior knowledge or involvement), School staff in relation to pay related matters, Pecuniary interest, Spouse/partner.
Delegation to the Headteacher
School Staffing (England) Regulations 2009.
Appointment: The Governing Body can delegate the power to appoint outside the leadership group to:
- The Headteacher
- One or more Governors with the right of the Headteacher to advise
- One or more Governors and the Headteacher.
Delegate to the Headteacher, as above, for
- Non-teaching staff
- All Supply Cover
- The Headteacher together with one or more Governors are delegated powers to appoint temporary staff.
- All staff other than Headteacher, unless exceptional circumstances exist.
- Headteacher to a committee of the Governing Body
Terms of Reference:
- To consider any appeal against a decision to dismiss a member of staff made by the Hearing/First Committee (or Headteacher if delegated).
- To consider any appeal against a decision under the personnel procedures adopted by the Governing Body. (eg. disciplinary, grievance, ill-health, pay review, capability etc.).
- To consider any appeal against selection for redundancy.
Meetings: as and when required. Must have no fewer members than the Hearing.
Disqualifications: Headteacher. Any governor who was involved in the hearing. Spouse/partner, members of staff in relation to pay related matters
Virement & Expenditure Limits
|Virement Limits||Expenditure Limits|
|Limit set for Headteacher without prior approval of Chair of Governing Body or Chair of Finance Committee||£5,000||Any items of expenditure up to||£5,000
|Limit set for Headteacher with approval from Chair of Governors or Chair of Finance Committee||£5,000 to £10,000||Above this limit if item was previously notified to the Governing Body or Finance Committee.
Prior Governing Body or Finance Committee approval to be sought outside of this limit.
|Prior Governing Body or Finance Committee approval to be sought outside of this limit.|
NB Any goods/services purchased and works to be carried out are subject to Durham County Council Contract Procedure Rules (January 2014) for quotations
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.